Interesting Facts About Blackboard
Download Blackboard App for WindowsDownload Now
Blackboard is a web-based application that enables educators to create and deliver course materials, assess student progress, and manage communication. Here are 10 interesting facts about Blackboard.
- Was founded in 1997 by Michael Chasen and Matt Pittinsky.
- Blackboard is headquartered in Washington, D.C.
- Blackboard serves over 30 million students and educators worldwide.
- Blackboard offers a suite of products and services for K-12, higher education, and corporate clients.
- Blackboard Learn is used by over 8,000 colleges and universities worldwide.
- Blackboard Learn is available in over 40 languages.
- Blackboard was originally known as WebCT.
- Blackboard acquired ANGEL Learning in 2009.
- Blackboard has been used by some of the world's biggest universities, including Harvard, Yale, and Stanford.
- Was named one of the "Top 100 Companies to Watch" by Red Herring in 2010.
- Blackboard has been awarded numerous industry awards, including the "Best of ECT" award from Education Technology Insights.
- Blackboard was named one of the "100 Best Places to Work in IT" by Computerworld magazine in 2010.
- In 2011, Blackboard was ranked #38 on Forbes magazine's list of America's most innovative companies.
- In 2012, Blackboard was ranked #25 on Fast Company's list of the "World's Most Innovative Companies."
- In 2012, Blackboard acquired Magna Publications, a leading provider of professional development resources for educators.
- In 2013, Blackboard acquired MyEdu, a student success and degree planning platform.
- Blackboard is a publicly traded company on the Nasdaq stock exchange (ticker symbol: BBBB).